On the CMS Commander “Themes” page you can remotely manage themes on all your websites at the same time. That includes activating and deactivating used themes , installing new themes on several sites and updating all themes at the same time. The “Themes” page works very similar to the bulk plugin management features of the “Plugins” page.
The “Themes” page is split into two tabs which you can choose at the top of the page:
On the first “View / Edit” tab you can review, delete and activate themes on your websites as well as bulk install theme updates if available for any of your themes.
- To update all of your themes where a new version is available on all your websites select “Update All Themes” from the “Bulk Actions” dropdown, then select all your websites in the “Your Sites” list and press “Apply”.
For more specific actions load the themes data from one of your sites first by clicking the “Load Content” button next to a site in the sitelist. After that the list of installed WordPress themes on that website gets displayed and you can choose to activate a new theme on the site loaded from by clicking the link next to the theme name.
For bulk actions select any number of themes from the list and click on the “Bulk Actions” dropdown field. Here you have a choice of different actions, including activating a new theme on any number of your websites, updating all selected themes (either on the site loaded from or on any number of other sites you select in the list) or copying all selected themes to any other number of your blogs. After making your selection click “Apply” to process it.
Themes loaded from a WP site with view of the bulk actions.
Installing New WordPress Themes
To bulk install WordPress themes to your sites navigate to the “Install Theme (WordPress)” tab. Once there CMS Commander offers you four choices where to install the new WP theme from:
- From Favourites: Select and install themes from the favourites you have set in CMS Commander. Once you have created a list of favourites this is the quickest and easiest way to install themes. I would recommend you to save all the themes you regularly use as favourites, so that you can easily bulk install them all on a new WordPress website you set up.
To add a theme as favourite go to the “From WordPress Theme Directory” choice, search the directory for the themes of your choice and click the “Add to Favourites” link in the results.
- From WordPress Theme Directory: Search the thousands of themes listed in the official WordPress theme directory for any keyword. After submitting the search form the results are displayed in a table below and you have the choice to add a theme as favourite (see above) or install it on the current website. To install several of the themes in the result simply select their checkboxes, then select the sites of your choice in the “Your Sites” list and click “Install on selected Sites” at the bottom of the page to install the theme on all of them.
- From URL: For themes not listed in the WP theme directory, i.e. premium themes , you can provide a web address (URL) to the themes .zip file to install it on your websites. After entering the URL simply select the sites you want to install the theme on from the “Your Sites” list and click the “Install on selected Sites” button.
- From Your Computer: This option lets you select a theme .zip file that you have saved locally to your computer. After selecting the file it will get uploaded and you can install the theme to any number of your WordPress weblogs simultaneously.
For each of the four choices there are two additional settings: “Activate Installed Themes” tells CMS Commander to immediately activate the new theme on your blog after installation while “Overwrite Existing” means that a folder of the same name (could be an old version for example) would get overwritten with the theme you chose to install now.
Search results from the WP theme directory to install on your websites.